Small Business Kick Start
There are a variety of programs available to Wayne County residents and Wayne County businesses who are in the early planning or start up stages of their business endeavor. The Kick Start initiative aims to foster entrepreneurship and new business start ups in a variety of business sectors. We celebrate entrepreneurs who are putting their talents and ideas to work for them.
Annual Pitch Competitions 2022
1. NEW STUDENT PITCH COMPETITION:
This year we are inviting teams or individual Wayne County students to present their business ideas in the form of a 5-min video pitch. Projects will highlight new business ideas, product concepts, or service-oriented endeavors. Through the process of applying, students will learn the basics of developing a good business plan, performing relevant market research, and delivering a "pitch" speech to potential investors. The winners will be chosen by judges from the local business and education community. Multiple cash prizes awarded (grand prize $1,250) including the project that is most transformative for Wayne County. Winner announcements will be made at the adult live "pitch" competition in November of 2022.
Students must submit an executive summary of the business plan, financial projections and a video pitch to be part of the first annual Student Pitch Competition. Read Eligibility and Submission Guidelines for instructions.
- Student Pitch Competition Eligibility & Submission Guidelines
- Student Pitch Competition Cover Page
- Submission Deadline is October 14, 2022.
WHO: Available for students who will be in grade 9 through grade 12 by October 2022 (22-23 school year). Student must be a resident of Wayne County or enrolled in a Wayne County school district. Student can be enrolled in public, private or home school.
WHAT: Develop a business, product or service concept into a deliverable business plan including some financial projections, then video tape your team pitching the business.
WHEN: Start preparing now. Deadline for submissions will be October 14, 2022. No fee to participate.
WHERE: Video submissions will be evaluated privately. Winners will be contacted and videos will be presented to the public at the Live "Pitch" competition in November.
If you have any questions about Student Pitch application, contact Deb Hall at 315-946-5919.
RESOURCES FOR MENTORS AND STUDENTS
- YE (Youth Entrepreneurs) Academy https://yeacademy.org/
- Yea! Business Model Canvas https://yeacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/BusinessModelCanvas_TeachersGuide_v2.pdf
- How to Write an Executive Summary
- Financial Projection Excel Sheet (Please use this for your submission.)
- Presentation Overview
- SCORE Workshops (Sign Up below under Adult Pitch Resources.)
2. ADULT PITCH COMPETITION:
This competition is open to all Wayne County residents who have a new business (less than three years old), a new business idea, or are in the concept stage of developing a business in Wayne County. The Winner will receive a cash award to kick start their new business.
Hear what past winners have to say: (click on photo to see video).
Adult Pitch applicants must review and adhere to these following items. Terms and conditions could change.
- 2022 Adult Application
- 2022 Adult Pitch Eligibility & Guidelines
- Grant Disbursement Agreement required, if chosen as winner.
- Attend at least one of the free SCORE business education workshops listed below under Resources.
- Include a non-refundable application fee of $50.00.
- Application deadline will be September 23, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.
If you have any questions about Adult Pitch application, contact Katie Bronson at firstname.lastname@example.org 315-946-5920.
1. Sample Documents for applicants to use in their business plan.
2. SCORE Workshops will again be available and free to all participants. All applicants are required to complete at least one workshop of your choice before submitting your Adult Pitch application. The first 6 Workshops will be available via Zoom.
ONLINE SCORE Workshops Registration: (One registration for all six workshops)
Click here to Register:
Online SCORE workshops dates and times:
- July 26, 2022 at 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM - Intros and the Business Model Canvas
- August 2, 2022 at 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM - Sales and Marketing
- August 9, 2022 at 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM - Accounting, Financials, and Budgeting
- August 16, 2022 at 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM - Insurance and Legal Entities
- August 23, 2022 at 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM - Banking, HR and In-depth Financial Review
- August 30, 2022 at 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM - In-depth Financial Review Wrap Up
- Introduction & Goal Setting
- SBA Resources/Support
- Developing a Business Plan & Business Model Canvas
- Marketing Techniques
- Selling Skills
- Budgeting and Cash Management/Financial Statements
- Legal Considerations
- Business Banking / HR
- Insurance Needs
In PERSON SCORE workshop date and time: No registration required. This class is for workshop participants to review materials previously developed and to practice your business pitch.
Location: Macedon Public Library, Community Room, 30 W Main St, Macedon, NY 14502
Topics: Financials, Creating the Business plan, Practicing your Pitch
3. SCORE Mentors For more information on the SCORE organization or for a private consultation with a SCORE mentor, view the SCORE mentoring website.
4. The New York Small Business Development Center (NYSBDC) provides small business owners and entrepreneurs in New York with one-on-one business counseling, training, and business research. All advisement is free and confidential. For more information visit the New York Small Business Development Center website and start by making an appointment with a Certified Business Advisor.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the required application for any of the programs linked above, and include required documents. If proof of attendance is required for SCORE workshops, please include that documentation with your application. If required, send application fee (payable to WEDC). Payment must be sent by mail or hand-delivered to the address shown here before the deadline.
Mail or Deliver Applications & Documents to:
Wayne Economic Development Corporation
Attn: (Write in name of program)
9 Pearl Street, 2nd Floor
Lyons, NY 14489
Email Submission: If you intend to email an application and documents, all attached file types must be in PDF format under 15 MB total and labeled with your business name. Student Pitch applicants must contact Deb Hall for video submission instructions.
Once an application is received, it will be reviewed for completeness. You will be notified that it was received and if any information is missing. Please refer to FAQ or Guideline documents for further details. We ask for your patience while we carefully go through this process of reviewing and judging projects. Thank you in advance for your interest in Kick Starting your business in Wayne County.